Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mother

Santa Barbara was wild, I'll say thought. I didn't realize those nerds like to party harder than SDSU but I guess it's because they are overworked up there. I felt very adult driving up there with only Marie, kind of spur of the moment, skip town style. SB is beautiful though, I could totally see myself living there when (and if) I settle down. Marie liked it more than I did though, she didn't want to leave. I think it's because she has to go ack home to her parents while I get to back to the dorms today at school. She's 19 and still answers to her parents like a 14 year old. Must liberate her from that prison...
My dad went to San Francisco yesterday morning, leaving just my mom and I in the house. We only went on a target run together really, but over this break, I've felt closer to her. Partly because I needed to renew that sense of maternal affection, but also because I think she's lonely only having dad here (and he drives her crazy sometimes. really.) This house is so boring. She took a 2 week medical leave from work due to some serious depression, so I'm just trying to be a good supportive daughter.
I told Marie that telling your mom a little secret about your life can go a long way. Moms like to be included in their daughters' lives like that, to be in on some of the gossip. The days of schoolgirlhood are long past moms, they just want to be included in that small piece of social life. I told my mom about all the wild stuff I did while partying up at UCSB (not too much) and she seemed pleased, understanding and relieved that I wasn't doing something worse up there. Marie should do the same, maybe her mom will let her do more things that she once thought "dangerous" like going to shows or staying out past senior bedtime. PUHlease sherri do you live under a rock? Her paranoia is almost a Lampoon on over-protective moms everywhere. Like you could listen to her being serious about safety, and think that she was sarcastically joking, because such measures would be rediculous. But she was really being serious when she said "You girls shouldn't be walking the strip at night. Scary men will come up and snatch you and sell you into the sex-slave industry. just like that,"
(Nobody wants to hear this crap, so I post it here instead of facebook)

2 comments:

  1. ucsb has always been known as a party school, much more so than sdsu.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I had a mother like that of Marie, once upon a time. I was raised Mormon (ack) and brainwashed for 22 DAMN YEARS!! I was even tricked into doing a mission for them -- BUT i DID get a two year stay in Africa out of the deal!! (Btw, if anyone gets the chance to go to Africa...GO!! It changed my life for good--forever).

    Anyway, my Mom chilled out after awhile but in the end she has really turned out to be accepting of my life--and cool (for a Mormon that is) lol. So, keep on fighting the system of rigid conformity!! Down with the machine of Puritanical delusion!! Question Everything--I say!! Peace, love and smiles.

    ReplyDelete